Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 15:39:51 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does SMC9332BDT work in 2.2.2R??

On Sat, Jun 07, 1997 at 12:38:15PM -0400, Matt Thomas wrote:
> At 10:46 AM 6/7/97 -0500, Bob Willcox wrote:
> >I am trying to install some SMC9332BDT ethernet cards in some of
> >my systems here with no success.
>
> grab http://www.3am-software.com/de-970603.tar.gz

Hmm, my previous response indicating success may have been a bit
premature.  The above referenced driver works ok on one of my 166MHz
Pentium systems but fails on my 233MHz PentiumPro system.  Looks
like there might be a timing or compatibility problem there.  The
mother board is an ASUS P/I-XP6NP5 with 128MB of memory and all 5
PCI slots populated (3 SCSI adapters [NCR/SYMBIOS] and a #9 GXE64Pro
graphics card are in the other 4).

The system gets through probing and boot ok, but as it starts to
bring up network daemons they either hang or get RPC timeouts.
BTW, this behavior is the same with either my new SMC9332DBT or my
old 21040 based card (its DEC adapter, but I don't know model number
off hand)

--
Bob Willcox	       Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made
bob@luke.pmr.com       President should on no account be allowed to do the job.