Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 15:46:40 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   socks support native in freebsd?

I know I'm the "let's not bloat things out" guy,  but I want to get some
feedback on this idea.  It seems like a big gain.

I'd like to bring socks4 (and later socks5) into the FreeBSD source tree
directly.  The reason for doing so is that minor modifications to our
utilities, such as telnet, ftp, et al need to be performed.  I figure it
would be more useful to the user community if we just make these changes
/and/ ship our default binaries with socks support included.

Everything will behave as normal, unless the user creates /etc/socks.conf
which will then enable socks functionality.

Comments?

Paul

p.s. for those who don't know, SOCKS is an application relay system for
     handling clients behind a firewall.  Because SOCKS operates on TCP
     connections directly, it also means that you can do things that would
     otherwise require globally routable network addresses (e.g. SOCKS
     lets you do away with network address translators and use RFC 1597
     addresses).