Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:20:12 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Subject:   Re: AIC7XXX (2940UW Pro) file system corruption

Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org> writes:

>> Feb  6 20:10:20 libertas /kernel: swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: #da/0x20001, blkno: 4296, size: 24576
>
> There is a very good chance that your disk is going bad.  The dump card
> states are due to the disk not responding to commands within the timeout
> period.

Hmmm... what this does not yet explain is the massive corruption that my
/var file system (softdeps) suffered and that fsck -p wouldn't fix.

As the drive was running with WCE:0 at the time it crashed, can we
assume that the drive hasn't reordered writes?

If we can, then there is a massive problem with the softupdates write
ordering that the disk sees, either blocks being scheduled in the wrong
order or ordered tags (as write barriers that prevent reordering)
missing.

I don't know how responsibilities for maintaining ordering requirements
are split in FreeBSD 4 currently, but if softupdates-ffs claims it
maintains an on-disk image that is always consistent no matter when the
machine crashes, and drive configuration allows for the loss of exactly
1 block, then something is really wrong.

--
Matthias Andree