Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 00:41:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@frozenfeelings.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot Problem

I seem to have a boot problem which I will eplain in detail below. I hope
that someone can help me.

Well, I have a computer that has Windows NT 4.0 Workstation installed on
the hard disk connected to the primary IDE port as master (Disk0). The
whole partition is dedicated to WinNT. Now there is another HD in that
computer. It's connected to the secondary IDE port as master (Disk1?). On
that HD I installed FreeBSD. During the installation I said that I wanted
to use the FreeBSD boot manager to allow me to choose betwen the two
operating systems. After the installation, however, the system restarted
and WinNT took over control without the FreeBSD bootmanager ever showing
up.
I then booted from a DOS-disk and used bootinst.exe from the FreeBSD
/tools directory. When I tell it to write a boot sector to the first disk
(the disk on which WinNT is installed) it seems to work, but when I
re-boot the WinNT boot-loader takes over control againg without me ever
seeing the FreeBSD bootmanager. The only thing I can do is the
following: I can install the FreeBSD bootmanager on the 2nd HD (on which
FreeBSD is installed) and then I can to to my BIOS and tell it to start
from that drive. This works, but that way I can only boot FreeBSD, in
order to get back to WinNT (well, I don't want to use it anyways, but
there are others around here who want) I have to tell my BIOS again to
boot from the NT-Disk.
This is not very practical. I remember that once upon a time I used Linux
with LILO on that 2nd HD of the computer and I could install LILO to the
first HD. At boot time, LILO asked me whether to use Linux or NT. If I
selected Linux, it booted it from the 2nd drive. When I selected NT, the
NT bootloader popped up and started NT. Something like that should be
possible with FreeBSD! I hope that someone can help me with this problem!

Greetings,
Nils