Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 10:46:47 -0600
From:      Server Admin <admin@sage-one.net>
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Apache/Frontpage setup for Vhosts

No, there are "name-based" and "IP-based" setups for vhosts. I've used
both, but unfortunately, someone else set them up for me originally. I have
a remote server now on UNIX running this same named-based setup... I've
been running more than a dozen vhosts on a single IP.... I'm just trying to
duplicate it on a local server.

At 11:43 AM 3.17.2002 -0500, Doug Reynolds wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 10:20:01 -0600, Server Admin wrote:
>
>>Running 4.5-Stable with Apache and Frontpage2002
>>
>>On a new server setup, I just set up Apache for the first vhost
>>(name-based) and found it was a lot more simple than I had anticipated and
>>the virtual host fired right up first try and is "on the air". Love Apache!
>>
>>Was looking for it to be more difficult, but found that I could place the
>>vhost just about anywhere. BUT, what is driving me nuts now after many
>>retries is how to set up Frontpage as another independent "root" web for
>>that vhost. I've tried running "fp_install.sh" with different responses to
>>the interactive questions, but no dice. I thought I'd found it where it
>>asked for setup another "virtual server", and after replying "yes", it
>>asked for "config file". It didn't like any of my answers and I had to
>>abort the attempt.
>
>not that this is going to help your dilemma- but I've found that FP
>seems to only like one root web per port.  I'm pretty sure it can be
>done different, but the only other ways i've seen it done is if each
>vhost has its only ip address..
>
>what i've done myself is just pointed the different hosts to different
>dirs under the root..  not the best, but works.
>
>---
>doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net
>
>PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 7FEC 10AA 056B F8DE  AC1E 6965 FBBE 9601

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone
Server Admin