Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 22:05:50 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I check out a snapshot?

On Sat, Sep 27, 1997 at 01:30:50PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > I'm not sure exactly what Jordan was referring to, but I know that every
> > > time the tree gets tagged, a huge ctm delta is generated.  I think this
> > > would mean a lot of net traffic also for folks using cvsup.
>
> > This should be irrelevant for adding CVS tags for each commit, I
> > believe.  It will increase the ctm delta size a little, but the ctm
> > deltas would still only refer to files that are modified anyway.
>
> All files are modified when tags are put down, so it means CTM deltas
> and CVS deltas are rather large, although the change for each file is
> rather small.

This only happens if all files are tagged, AFAIK?  I was referring to
adding tags to those files that actually are modified, to tie each
commit and each merge together so it can be viewed as a single change
at a later point in time, instead of being viewed as one change for
each file, with no usable way to automatically find out what other
changes was done at the same time.  This do not require modifying all
untouched files unless I've totally misunderstood the way RCS tags work.

Eivind.