Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:07:39 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sbufs in userland, proposed solution

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 05:03:40 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > libcam will be complied with a dependency on libsbuf, so libsbuf will
> > automatically get pulled in for applications that dynamically link with
> > libcam.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > As for applications that link statically (e.g. camcontrol), they'll have to
> > add libsbuf to the link line in order to compile.
> >
> > There is apparantly no way around the static link problem, so this is
> > something that has to be done, unless I go with one of the other two
> > alternatives -- putting sbufs in libc or in libcam.
>
> The "library A depends on library B" approach is _supposed_ to
> work with both static and dynamic linking.

Outside the FreeBSD tree?

From talking to John Polstra, it only works automatically with dynamic
linking.  There are some makefile tricks to make it sort-of happen with
static linking (see the MINUSLPAM stuff in share/mk/bsd.libnames.mk) but
nothing that I know of that'll make the it work automatically.

If there is a way to do it, I'd like to know how, since that would save me
from modifying all the ports that use libcam.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org