Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 08:47:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging...

Luigi Rizzo writes:
| > Luigi Rizzo scribbled this message on Apr 24:
| > > I am trying to see what could be the best way to implement bridging
| > > within FreeBSD. The main app would be to connect 10/100 Mbit
| > think, FreeBeSwitcheD on a floppy... :)
|
| actually, i have been using pc-based bridges (with code derived
| from netboot) for a long time -- look at my web page and search for
| PCbridge 3 . The code compiles on FreeBSD and can be run off a floppy
| or an EPROM.
|
| >From the point of view of efficiency this is better since with certain
| hardware it does not need to transfer the whole packet to main memory,
| but only the interesting parts -- headers etc. . Since the bus
| bandwidth is often the bottleneck for ISA cards, this is very efficient.
|
| The negative side is that the netboot only support a limited set of
| adapters, and no 100Mbit unit. So it would take a lot of work to port
| the driver to make it work with netboot, and it would need a lot of
| mainteinance with newer hardware.

FYI, the Linux Etherboot package supports the Intel 10/100 card.
	http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot
It was based on the FreeBSD netboot code, but now only compiles in the
Linux environment.  I've hacked it up to load a FreeBSD kernel via tftp.
I need to do more work to clean it up.  But now I have a bunch of
machines netbooting off of a server using fast ethernet.  BTW, industrial
PC's are very interesting, we have 4 PCI/ISA machines in one case using
a segmented passive back-plane.  The SBC have "Disk-in-ROM" socket which
is just like any BIOS ROM extension so you can stick in your netboot ROM
in there which is usefull since the Intel 10/100 card using a PLCC socket.

I've also made a couple of changes to the linux-dev package to make compiling
easier.  I run this script call runlinux:

	#!/bin/sh
	LINUX=/compat/linux
	export LINUX

	unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH
	echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

	PATH=$LINUX/usr/bin:$LINUX/bin:$LINUX/usr/local/bin:$LINUX/sbin:$LINUX/usr/sbin:
	$PATH

	#echo PATH:$PATH

	$@

then rename /compat/linux/usr/bin/ld to /compat/linux/usr/bin/ld.elf and then
create the script /compat/linux/usr/bin/ld:

	#!/usr/bin/perl

	push(@NEW,"/compat/linux/usr/bin/ld.elf");

	for($i=0;$i<=$#ARGV;$i++){
	        push(@NEW,$ARGV[$i]);
	        if ($last eq "-o"){
	                $dest=$ARGV[$i];
	        }
	        $last=$ARGV[$i];
	}

	$result=int(system(@NEW)/255);

	$dest || ( $dest="a.out" );
	($result == 0 ) && system("brandelf","-t","Linux","$dest");
	exit $result;

This way to build Linux stuff I just do a "runlinux make" and it just
works.

Doug A.