Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:56:32 +0100
From:      David Groves <david.groves@imagination.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux Binary Compatibility and CorporateTime

I am trying to run a specific linux binary on FreeBSD4.2-Release. I'm
quite inexperienced with FreeBSD, but know a fair bit about various
other unix's.

The application is CorporateTime, and I don't have any choice in trying
to get this to work, so don't worry about alternatives.

CorporateTime is a product of Steltor (www.steltor.ca), and you can
download the linux version of the server from them (it is built against
Redhat 6.1).

After installing the Linux_Base package, and running a Linux shell, you
can follow the installation instructions that come with the
CorporateTime package and get an installed system. The problems begin
when you try to start up the 4 daemons that the CorporateTime server
uses.

On startup, a shell script (sh), starts up various processes

unilckd (starts and setuid's itself to a service specific user, then
segfaults [sig11]).
uniengd (starts and setuid's itself, binds itself to its TCP port
(5730), and creates its unix domain socket).

So Unieng appears to work, but unilckd dies horribly.

I'm a little lost as to what the problem is. I've done and looked at the
following things.

1.) Before you brandelf the linux binaries from corptime, they are
marked as SVR4. This causes uniengd to dump core the moment you run it.
I've branded the binaries now as Linux, and this helps a bit, the
program now at least tries to run. I'm not sure why everything seems to
be branded as SVR4 by default though (both Linux and native FreeBSD
binaries on the system were).

2.) The system uses unix domain sockets to do some interprocess
chit-chat. I don't think this is causing a problem, but I'm a little
lost when it comes to unix domain sockets (i.e.. I know what they do in
principle, I have no idea about the way they are implemented).

3.) The system also uses SysV IPC and semaphores as well (I can see it
creating, and leaving up a message queue and a semaphore). I've got a
funny feeling this is where the problem lies, and I'm just pushing the
bounds of what can be emulated here.

The program does run exactly as advertised on Redhat Linux 6.1 (the
system it is advertised as running on).