Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 2010 02:38:22 -0800
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        kline@thought.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: display and manipulate math symbols?

Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:

> Is there any app or web site where you can select from a bunch of
> math symbols and arrange them on-screen ... pre-drawn symbols that
> could be moused around?

If not for the WYSIWYG requirement I'd suggest some variant of TeX.

Based entirely on reputation, I'd think PowerPoint could do this
fairly easily, provided the symbols you need are in one of the
installed fonts.  Have you tried the corresponding OpenOffice tool?
(I think it may be called "present" or some such.)

If I were going to do something like this, and didn't want to take
time to learn a new tool, I'd try using Visio -- one of only two
apps which I've found useful enough to get me to voluntarily put up
with Windoze.  Dunno (yet) how well it will run under wine; this is
one of several things I intend to try if I can ever find the time to
get a newer FreeBSD system set up.  (Wine is reputed to not work at
all well on 6.1.)

Ports/graphics/dia is somewhat similar to Visio, I think more
limited, but perhaps sufficient depending on just what you need
to do.