Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 18:07:23 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        dg@root.com, ccsanady@bob.scl.ameslab.gov, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP timers (Was: Re: new timeout routines)

>This will increase the load on the timer code with a lot of 20 tick
>timers for a 100Hz softclock.

No.  There would be exactly one TCP timer for doing delayed acks in
the queue at a given time.  The TCP code would be performing it's
own "one shot" timer management if you will.

>I haven't seen a formal layout of the design Archie Cobb said he
>discussed with Julian, so I can't comment on that, but it would be
>a good idea to consider all angles before making such a significant
>change to the networking code (one of BSD's shiny spots).

Archie's design is similar to having a set of hierarchical timing wheels
which would handle large loads of timers with varying lifespans and
chances of expiration better than the single level wheel we have now.
I think that this is a better approach than having an ordered/unordered
list for each bucket.  See the G.Varghese and A. Lauck paper I referenced
yesturday:

	http://dworkin.wustl.edu/~varghese/PAPERS/twheel.ps.Z

Which is the second paper the timeout.9 man page references.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations