Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:36:39 +0000
From:      Chris Elsworth <chrise@demon.net>
To:        Simon Loader <simon@herculeez.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw query..

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 02:31:40pm +0000, Simon Loader wrote:

> > pipes first - I was planning to do everything so I could count it and
> >         bandwidth limit it
> > deny anything appearing to come from RFC1918 ranges
> > deny any ports I specifically don't want people to see like 3306
> > deny any source IPs I specifically don't want to let in
> > allow selected priviledged ports (ssh, smtp, et al)
> > allow selected outbound accesses (tho this is paranoid and could go)
>
>  paranoia is good for Firewalls.

:) Not much point in having one otherwise, is there? :)

> > deny everything else
> >
> > >--
> >
> > If I don't put the pipes first then I can't bandwidth limit, because when
> > the packets go through one of the allow rules, to, say, sshd - then
> > they'll never see the pipe and won't get limited or counted. So the pipes
> > have to come first..
> >

> OK this is probably not useful but you could move the denys only to
> before the pipes
> so you are not bandwidth limiting people on stuff they dont get.
> ( intresting DoS attack other wise (in theory) if someone had lots of
> bandwidth).

Yeah, that'd be a good first step I suppose..

> ummmmm..... looking at the manual you have everything correct :)

Gee, well.. I guess that's kind of what I did and didn't want to hear
:) I'm doing it right but it doesn't work - doh :) send-pr time? :)

> You could try doing this to make sure
>
> sysctl -w net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass=0

I already did that.. :

gw-0# sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass
net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass: 0

It's zero already, I've set it a few times - definitely zero :)

> scratch, scratch or prehaps the pipe rule is going wrong?

Wrong in what way? This might be the one thing left to check out..

> STUPID QUESTION:
> you do have the DUMMYNET option in the Kernel

Yup, if I didn't have that then the pipes wouldn't work at all..

/me scratches his head and wanders off..

--
Chris Elsworth               tel: 020 8371 1041        _            .
Systems Administrator        mob: 07968 324 693       demon @ thus . .