Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 22:47:36 -0500
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        bpechter@shell.monmouth.com
Cc:        sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sparc port going 64 bit

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 12:27:43PM -0400, Bill Pechter scribbled:
| > On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 08:40:02AM -0400, Bill Pechter wrote:
|
| > > FreeBSD is the best Unix for i386... but we've not shown any real moves to
| > > the multiplatform area.
| >
| > Uh... the Alpha?  The IA-64?  The Mac-PowerPC?
| Not to disagree, but the Alpha is it at this time.  Period.

Please try contributing to our different architecture ports. :)

| Anyone have FreeBSD running on an IA-64 at this time in real production?
| Does intel use it in production yet?  Bet they're not yet.

You are asking a lot from an architecture that really just came out this year.

| as far as PowerPC --
| Anyone have it running on a PowerPC box at this time in production?

Please read previous emails in the thread.  The PPC port is under its way.
We are hoping for some help.

| IBM had Solaris available on PowerPC and NT for a real short time
| around 94... Guess how many people bet on that combo.

AIX is better for that.

| I had a lot of PowerPC boxes here running AIX... (some with MacOS and
| AIX on an IBM MicroChannel 7012 box).  Right now it's Solaris, WinNT/9x,
| Mandrake Linux, and my last FreeBSD box... (running 4.0-Stable and
| my home grown backup program migrating to Solaris 8 and Veritas NetBackup).

And?

David O'Brien has repeatedly offered Sparc hardware for people willing
to work on the Sparc port.  People have been offered PPC hardware too.
I personally just bought an Ultra5 to attempt to help. It cost me $500
on EBay.  It is not too expensive for a hobby. ;)