Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 00:40:06 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMBFS Unix to Windows End of Line Problem

> Doug Fee wrote:
> >
> > SMBFS works great, however, I do have a problem which I cannot figure
> > out how to get around.  Text files in Unix terminates the line with just
> > a linefeed whereas in Windows it terminates with a carriage return and
> > linefeed.  So when I save a text file to a SMB share and my coworker
> > looks at it with his Windows box, he sees one long record.  Is there a
> > way to get the carriage return in and out of the file depending on where
> > it is read/written to?
> >
> > Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

<Context lost due to top posting>

Is this really true ?
I am just about to embark climbimg Mount Samba and I am somewhat alarmed
to hear this.
Long ago the OSI model contained a layer, called the presentation layer
that was supposed to deal with things like this I believe.
Also whatevr happened to net-ascii then, isn't it supposed to be the
level at which this is sorted out ? I expect if I look at a text file
for it's appearance to be independent of it's origin.

Surely something wrong here ?

I don't know if FBSD supports "appatalk" or whatever it is called, the
thing that supports MAC's, does that mean line-ends will be seen as a
<CR> only if it does ?

I haven't bought my "Samba in 24 hours" book yet, so perhaps that will
explain it all.

--
Regards
Cliff