Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 15:46:27 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Mike Conlen <meconlen@obfuscated.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with -stable and ata drives

Mike Conlen wrote:

> I've got a problem that, because of the nature of the problem and the
> environment I can't give better details on.
>
> When I cvsup'ed to -stable last week, (I was at 4.2 stable as of sometime
> in December at that point) I rebooted after installing the new kernel and
> when attempting to mount the filesystems it would time out on read. After
> a few such attempts it would fall back to PIO mode (which happens anyway
> eventually on my machine) and it could read, but then it would timeout on
> write while (I'm guessing here) fsck was running. I could boot the old
> kernel just fine. For some reason the new ipfw did not like diverting to
> natd and my networking was a bit of a mess. In any case, I could get the
> machine back to 4.2-release, which is where I sit for now. I didn't find
> anything about this type of a problem in the research I did. I'm curious
> if this is a known issue before I try to take my router apart to get chip
> set and drive information to debug.

Yes, this is a know problem with some ata controllers... What chip set is
your controller? I had this happen with an Aladdin ata controller a few months
back, I got a patch from Soren that fixed it up... I dont think he has MFC'd
in the patch yet, maybe it still needs more testing...

Anyway if you searched the stable archives I am sure you would find some posts
about this...