Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 1997 01:22:43 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java binary support in FreeBSD ...

At 02:53 PM 3/2/97 -0800, Jake Hamby wrote:
>Just wanted to point out that Solaris 2.6 will just be using a shell script
>wrapper to start up Java programs.  There'll be a special tool to create it
>(setting up the CLASSPATH properly, and so forth), but no special Java
>recognition in the kernel AFAIK.
>
>In other words, if this "feature" is difficult to add to FreeBSD, I'd just
>forget about it.  The Linux crowd may think it's neat, but there are
certainly
>more important things to work on.

It looks very good in those small lists with checkboxes for different OSes.
 It will be one of the influencing factors for whether people select
FreeBSD or Linux in a cursory examination.  I'd say there are benefits from
adding it, though mainly PR :)

Eivind Eklund perhaps@yes.no http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/ eivind@freebsd.org