Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 1995 21:52:36 +0000 ()
From:      Pedro A M Vazquez <vazquez@iqm.unicamp.br>
To:        scrappy@hub.org (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newer named?

Marc G. Fournier said:

> 	What I've found is that right after my machine boots, I have to
> do a quick 'named.restart', but my machine is only a 386DX40 with 8Meg
> of RAM...and I'm still trying to run all the daemons on the machine :)

Marc
	This should not be the problem, the machine from where I'm sending
this mail is a 386DX40 with 8M of RAM, too. I'm running X, it is a
gateway and slave NIS server for a subnet, runs nmbd to resolve names
for win clients. After 15 days up its swap usage is:

kalypso % pstat -s
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/wd0s1b     16384     5824    10496    36%    Interleaved
/dev/wd1s1b     16384     5508    10812    34%    Interleaved
Total           32640    11332    21308    35%

	What the named logs say, if anything, during its startup? No problems?
I have named running on another , heavy loaded (httpd/ftp/lists), 486 with
16M and it is working fine since 1.1.5, The only time it died was when the
vm space exausted due to  a mail list loop generating too many (>150)
sendmail processes. Increasing the swap solved the problem after that.

Pedro