Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 11:55:34 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, imp@village.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nits

>Cool.  So setenv INSTALL "install -C" should do the trick for me
>before I build, right?  I should also be able to put this in
>/etc/make.conf, if I read sys.mk correctly.

>Without that hack, it took 1:11:35 to do a make all install.  I'll
>have to see what delta that has on the build time.

It will probably take longer :-).  The main benefits of not clobbering
the timestamps are that you and dump(8) can tell what has really changed
simply by looking at the timestamps.

>Also, should I bother with make depend?  It takes another hour on my
>machine.  It seems that there should be an easy way to tell if the

Yes.  It shouldn't take long to redo it, especially if you don't run
`make depend' separately (`make depend all' sometimes uses out of date
dependencies).

>.depend file is out of date or not.  Will have to think about this

I don't think there is an easy way.  To be complete, it is necessary to
check the timestamps of all the source files, including all the headers
referenced in .depend.  `make depend' now only checks the timestamps of
the primary sources.

>because I want to use the feature, but not pay so high a price when 20
>files in the whole system have changed.  Or does this fall into the
>category of "always do a make depend, or we'll not help you if you get
>an odd failure" category?

Yes.

Bruce