Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 16:48:14 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "R. Wyatt" <falcon@kiowa.wildstar.net>
Cc:        support@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recent troubles during a FreeBSD install

R. Wyatt wrote:

> Hello,
>   The first step I took in resolving my problems was reading the help
> pages on www.freebsd.org.  However I must be using inefficient search
> methods because I haven't found the answer that I am looking for.
>
> I will start with my system configuration (IDE)
> ATAPI creative cd-rom
> wdc 1.2 gig hard disk
> Seagate 2.1 gig hard disk
> Quantum 1.2 gig hard diusk
> 16 Megs Ram
> ViewSonic 17GA monitor recommended resolution 1024 x 768 @ 86 Hz
> Creative 16B PnP  board.
> I don't know what video card specifically.
>
> I am running NT4.0 on my C: drive.
>
> I have attempted to install FreeBSD on all three of the drives.
>
> Once common problem is it installs fine, but the boot manager doesn't go
> in,
>
> On the next install which option should I select ?
> Install BootEasy
> Install Standard Boot Manager
> or Leave MBR untouched ?

If you use the NT boot manager, and the NT boot partition is on the same
disk as NT's C: drive, the simplest way would be to use the NT boot
manager (see the FAQ for instructions). Otherwise, you'll need another
boot manager, but BootEasy gets installed on the wrong disk in such a
configuration, so you'll have to install it, or another one you like,
manually.

> Now, the next problem is once installed and getting it to boot.
> I get problems with getty
> getty spawning too fast of /dev/cuaa1 sleeping 30 seconds,

Don't know.

See http://www.freebsd.org/releases/2.2.2R/errata.html

> The final problem I am having is with X.  I can't find the proper specs
> for my monitor any where. I have contacted the vendor and the vendor will
> not provide it.

You could try and use the same refresh rate that you use on NT, if
you're satisfied with it. 86Hz for 1024x768 seems very good for me!

> I would appreciate any help.
>
> Sincerely,
> Randy Wyatt
Nadav