Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 1998 21:49:19 GMT
From:      Philip Koopman <koopman@cmu.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Where do I send a large bug list?

Greetings,

I'm not really sure wehere to send this, so I'm taking a shot at this
e-mail address based on a web page pointer...

I am an Assistant Professor at Carnegie Mellon University.  As part of
my research I have generated a rather extensive list of robustness bugs
for a number of commercial operating systems as well as FreeBSD.  (We're
talking 20,000 of bugs scattered throughout about half the
POSIX functions we tested, although it would be no surprise if there are
far fewer software defects that are actually root causes).  You can get
an idea of my research from http://www.ices.cmu.edu/ballista -- although
the information at that web site is not the latest and greatest.

Because this is unpublished data, and because of the large volume of
data involved, it is probably not a smart idea (and I don't have the
time) to just submit a huge pile of bug reports when I publish the final
data.  Additionally, I am willing to extend to you the courtesy of
giving you access to the information before my research results are
published.  But, in exchange, I request a simple promise that you won't
publish the data before I do.

What I'd like from this e-mail exchange is a name, title, and address of
someone to whom I can send a U.S. Mail letter that describes my data and
formalizes my offer to share it with you.  I'm not concerned with legal
formalities -- I just want the people involved to understand that this
information is to be treated with appropriate care.  Can we work
something out?

Best regards,
-- Phil

Phil Koopman -- koopman@cmu.edu -- http://www.ece.cmu.edu/koopman