Date:      11 Feb 1999 20:11:02 +0100
From:      Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE
To:        Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
Cc:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@nomad.dataplex.net>, John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up! /etc/rc.conf.site is dead.

Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com> writes:

  > But then you're right back where you started.  Since rc.conf isn't
  > supposed to be touched by the install/upgrade tools, it'll get out
  > of date (and will become a hinderance rather than a help) as
  > default settings change, and as settings are added/deleted.

Can we make something which compares /etc/rc.conf and
/etc/default/rc.conf and emits warnings if a variable is set in
/etc/rc.conf which isn't in /etc/default/rc.conf?

I realize that this is not as simple as extracting all variable names
from both files, sorting them, and running diff.  There are a few
variable names which are variable, for instance the network interface
settings.

kai `a FreeBSD newbie but hopefully not stupid'
--
I like _b_o_t_h kinds of music.