Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 10:58:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        mgruver@reveregroup.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, janko@compuserve.com, dleal@webvolution.net
Subject:   Re: LAN question

I noticed that when I forgot to do th "make depend" the other night that
it was taking forever to build the components for the kernel.  When you do
run that command it goes a great deal faster.

For me, I typically install a RELEASE version and do a "make world" on the
whole source tree.  That builds many useful files that will be helpful
when building a fresh kernel.  I am no expert, but I think that "make
depend" sets it up so that your kernel uses all the files you may have
already built.

Can anyone explain this part of the build process?

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com