Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:19:58 -0800
From:      Henrik Hudson <lists@rhavenn.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /boot is full after running "make installkernel" on FreeBSD 8.0

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com> writes:
>
> > On Jul 01 12:07, Ed Flecko wrote:
> >> Thanks guys.
> >>
> >> :-)
> >>
> >> Doesn't that seem odd that the "default" partition size for root
> >> (512M) isn't quite big enough?
> >>
> >> Should I make the partition size slightly larger (on future installs)
> >> to eliminate this problem?
> >>
> >> Ed
> >
> > I know *I* will.
>
> *Considerably* larger, I would say.  The number of different kernel
>  modules is growing all the time, and that's where the expansion is
>  mostly coming from.
>
> Or just make one large partition.  Not on a server, but I don't see much
> reason for using multiple partitions on a laptop.

Multiple partitions still isn't a bad idea if you ever have to fsck
and even on a desktop / laptop I usually mount /tmp as noexec. (note:
installworld requires exec in /tmp, so you will have to remount /tmp
if you use that). Also, it's easier to recover if you can boot
single user mode and run a quick fsck on / when it's small. It
doesn't happen often, but when it does it's easier.

One thing I didn't see is a /home. Is your /home under /usr or /? I
have a 8-STABLE system with both kernel and kernel.old and they only
take up 520MB or so. I normally make my / 2-4GB and then mount a
separate /var (2-10GB depending), /tmp (2-10GB depending) and
/usr (15-50gb depending) and /home (the rest)  . A separate /home is very nice
if you're rebuilding or re-installing you can just not format that
partition and all your stuff will still be there. Of course, have
backups as well :)

Henrik
--
Henrik Hudson