Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:14:06 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux Binary Compatibility and CorporateTime

* David Groves <david.groves@imagination.com> [010410 13:00]:
> I am trying to run a specific linux binary on FreeBSD4.2-Release. I'm
> quite inexperienced with FreeBSD, but know a fair bit about various
> other unix's.
>
> The application is CorporateTime, and I don't have any choice in trying
> to get this to work, so don't worry about alternatives.
>
> CorporateTime is a product of Steltor (www.steltor.ca), and you can
> download the linux version of the server from them (it is built against
> Redhat 6.1).
>
> After installing the Linux_Base package, and running a Linux shell, you
> can follow the installation instructions that come with the
> CorporateTime package and get an installed system. The problems begin
> when you try to start up the 4 daemons that the CorporateTime server
> uses.
>
> On startup, a shell script (sh), starts up various processes
>
> unilckd (starts and setuid's itself to a service specific user, then
> segfaults [sig11]).

Cool. Does it dump core?
Try getting a backtrace off it.
(Not sure how well gdb handles linux coredumps though).

> uniengd (starts and setuid's itself, binds itself to its TCP port
> (5730), and creates its unix domain socket).
>
> So Unieng appears to work, but unilckd dies horribly.
>
> I'm a little lost as to what the problem is. I've done and looked at the
> following things.
>
> 1.) Before you brandelf the linux binaries from corptime, they are
> marked as SVR4. This causes uniengd to dump core the moment you run it.
> I've branded the binaries now as Linux, and this helps a bit, the
> program now at least tries to run. I'm not sure why everything seems to
> be branded as SVR4 by default though (both Linux and native FreeBSD
> binaries on the system were).
>
> 2.) The system uses unix domain sockets to do some interprocess
> chit-chat. I don't think this is causing a problem, but I'm a little
> lost when it comes to unix domain sockets (i.e.. I know what they do in
> principle, I have no idea about the way they are implemented).

Ca't help there. I created my first FIFO yesterday, so you know as much as me.

> 3.) The system also uses SysV IPC and semaphores as well (I can see it
> creating, and leaving up a message queue and a semaphore). I've got a
> funny feeling this is where the problem lies, and I'm just pushing the
> bounds of what can be emulated here.

Do you have the SYSV* lines in your kernel config?
(Should be 3 of them ; 'grep SYSV LINT' will show them up.)
--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns