Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 07:24:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      opentrax@email.com
To:        sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/22042: spelling error

On 12 Nov, Szilveszter Adam wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 12:44:29PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 03:32:31AM -0800, opentrax@email.com wrote:
>> > I  don't concur. "Seperation of tasks" usually involve
>> > tasks that don't merit replication. Certainly FreeBSD can
>> > gain by providing a response that is much more pro-active.
>
> I do not agree. Just think about it. The PR system does record every single
> PR ever sent, even after it is closed. Why? Because people might find it
> useful later to browse the PR database and see how a problem was resolved
> (or why it wasn't despite the PR being closed)
>
> Now think about your suggestion: The PR system would end up with many
> entries that only say: Thank you, forwarded! and then are closed. These are
> worthless as PRs. They just take up space and make maintaining and using the
> database more difficult. Also, as Nik pointed out, they take up a
> developler's time just to type this "Thank you!" note to you and send
> (possibly only forward) your query to the other party. This is not even
> about people not having time: This is simply not the way things work. If we
> took it upon us to, say, take PRs for X then soon people like you would ask:
> "Why can't I just enter a PR about a port and you guys contact the author?
> It would be soooo proactive!" It surely would be very convenient to you, but
> the FreeBSD PR system is *not* meant to be your one-stop-shop for all
> problems related to your use of a computer with FreeBSD on it. (esp since X
> is not even a base system. And don't argue that it comes on the same CD and
> can be installed by sysinstall, since all of the ports are the same in this
> regard, too.)
>
> No commercial vendor, even the ones who charge for support contracts, will
> take and forward bug-reoprts for you. Neither will the grocery store forward
> your query/complaints to the pharmacy or the hardware store.

Not true. All good business do this, else the don't survive.
Airlines tell the airline MFG the want quiter planes.
Why, their cusomters asked? The customers did write
the MFG and say, "hey make quiter planes.", the airline did.

We get away with it because we have shoody workmanship
as part of our business. Won't you like to have a Word Proccessor
that came garantueed?  Or a CD-ROM writer that worked
like it was supposed to?

> You will have to do it, by yourself in both cases. This
> has got nothing to do with FreeBSD being the best OS or not. This is the way
> things work.
Your statement, "This is the way things work, almost
bankrupted many companies. I don't think your suggesting
that for *BSD.

> You have to address your problems to where they belong. You can
> ask, where they belong, but after that you have to go there. The only
> exception to this is rule is public administration in many countries: Even
> if you file say a form with the wrong agency they will forward it for you.
> But this is the *only* exception and only so because they are required to do
> so by law.

I note that your domain is "hu", if you are not part
of the USA how can you assume that this is the BSD way?
I'm not stating this to make an issue of your residence.
It just strikes me as strange that you would not want
a better computer system.

				best regards,
				Jessem.