Date:       Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:07:38 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware in space?

On 2000-Jun-22 11:44:01 +0200, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee> wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Olaf Hoyer wrote:
>> Basically, you need to transport the heat=energy away from the chip.
>> On earth, you may take air as transport and dissolver.
>> But why no liquid cooling?

>Crazy! Liquid weights a lot - and besides, how do you cool the liquid?

If the system have to run for an extended period (ie, reach steady
state equilibrium) then your only option is radiation.  Since the
proposed flight has a limited endurance, you could just store the
unwanted heat or rely on consumables to dispose of it:
- Using specific heat:  You use a massive heatsink and rely on the
  heatsink's specific heat to limit the temperature rise.  Aluminium
  has a specific heat of ~0.95J/g per degree C.  10W for 15mins is
  9000J so you'd be looking at ~200g for a 50 degree temperature rise.
  Good alternatives include lithium (3.3J/g/degree) and water (4.2
  J/g/degree), but both have a much lower density (meaning more volume
  to store the heat) and are more difficult to handle (lithium is
  highly reactive and water is a liquid under room conditions).

- Using latent heat of fusion: ie melting a solid.  The advantage is
  that latent heats of fusion are 1-2 orders of magnitude higher than
  specific heats (with a commensurate reduction in heatsink mass).
  The temperature also remains constant (since the heat is being
  absorbed via a phase transition).  Picking an appropriate substance
  is more difficult but I believe there are a range of eutectic salts
  intended for thermal storage - you might be able to find a suitable
  one.  Alternatively, Rose's Metal (from memory) might do.

- Using latent heat of vaporisation: ie evaporating a solid or liquid.
  The advantage is about another order of magnitude reduction in mass.
  The disadvantage is that you'll need some way to vent the vapour,
  without losing the liquid/solid.  Water is probably a reasonable
  choice if you're venting into a vacuum.

In general, I wouldn't recommend Peltier cells because of their
poor efficiency (you'll probably triple your power consumption),
but could be justified if you find a good phase-change material
that is just a few degrees too hot.

BTW, there are low power (CMOS) variants of both the 386 and 486 -
these will further reduce your power consumption - especially if
you reduce the CPU clock speed.

As for the problem of extended pre-launch holds, the best solution
would seem to be implementing a low power hibernation mode (or even
total power off, if this is practical) that is broken by the launch
g-forces.

Peter