Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 1997 16:20:06 +0100
From:      Lars Koeller <lkoeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
To:        shaun@emma.eng.uct.ac.za (Shaun Courtney)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with XDM and chooser

---------

Hi!

In message <19970207164607.WI64731@emma.eng.uct.ac.za>,
Shaun Courtney writes:

>Hi All
>
>I'm at the end of the line here and would desperately like some help.
>
>I would like to run an X with a the chooser options so that I can choose
>which of the machines I can log into...
>
>If I type X -query machine, I get presented with the xdm login screen and all
>goes well, but i am *clueless* as to how to set up xdm to give me the same
>options.
>
>Heres what I would like to do:
>
>Call my machine dsp.
>
>On dsp I would like to run xdm with chooser so that it provides me with the
>option to log into dsp1 dsp2 and dsp2 (as well as dsp)
>
>Could someone please help me and tell / show me what entries I need to
>put the the Xaccess file.

It's really simple:

   - Comment out any lines in /usr/X11R65/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
   - start xdm
   - Star your Xserver: X -indirect `hostname` &

be happy. I've realised this in rc.local in the following way

if [ -f /etc/sysconfig ]; then
        . /etc/sysconfig
fi

# Start xdm and Xserver
if [ X"${xdm}" = X"YES" ]; then
        /usr/X11/lib/X11/xdm/TakeConsole 2>&1 > /dev/null
        echo -n ' xdm'; /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -config
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-co
nfig > /dev/null 2>&1
        echo -n ' X direct'; /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -indirect odie &
fi

and add a line

xdm=YES

in /etc/sysconfig.

But beware to start two such server in this way. I tried to start one with the
-query option to get a direct login and another with the -indirect option to
allow collegues to use my machin as an Xterminal. It lokks like this:

        echo -n ' X direct'; /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -query odie &
        sleep 10;
        echo -n ' X indirect'; /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt6 -indirect odie &

bhe mouse and the console-switching is completly confused. It's not clear if
it's a syscons or XFree86 error!

All went well if you start the second Xserver "per hand" from an console login.

Regards

Lars

Shaun Courtney writes:

>Hi All
>
>I'm at the end of the line here and would desperately like some help.
>
>I would like to run an X with a the chooser options so that I can choose
>which of the machines I can log into...
>
>If I type X -query machine, I get presented with the xdm login screen and all
>goes well, but i am *clueless* as to how to set up xdm to give me the same
>options.
>
>Heres what I would like to do:
>
>Call my machine dsp.
>
>On dsp I would like to run xdm with chooser so that it provides me with the
>option to log into dsp1 dsp2 and dsp2 (as well as dsp)
>
>Could someone please help me and tell / show me what entries I need to
>put the the Xaccess file.
>
>Thanks for you help
>
>Shaun Courtney
>
>P.S. I know this might not exactly be the right place to as X questions....
>but it is related to FreeBSD :)
>
>Thanks again.
>
>--
>      Department of Electrical Engineering and CERECAM

Internet:                                       |  Lars Koeller
  Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.Uni-Rostock.DE      |  Department of Physics
  ftp://odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de             |  University of Rostock
PGP-key:                                        |  Germany
  http://www.nic.surfnet.nl/pgp/pks-toplev.html |

----------- FreeBSD, what else? ---- http://www.freebsd.org ------------