Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 12:33:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Troy Landers <tdl@widomaker.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.com, tdl@widomaker.com
Subject:   Re: EIDE CDROM, Motherboard & USB questions...

It's "questions@freebsd.org", not "freebsd.com", even though
"freebsd.com" is registered.

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Troy Landers wrote:

> I am about to purchase an IDE 8x CDROM drive. I have some concerns using
> it with FreeBSD, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I am trying to avoid the additional cost of a SCSI version of the same
> drive and that of a SCSI controller card, at the same time I don't want
> to spend less money on something that is known _not_ to work.
>
> Is anyone using an E-IDE 8x CDROM with FreeBSD?, if so what brand? Had
> any problems?

ATAPI should be OK.  The driver is a bit picky about where the drive is
in comparison to other disks.  (slave, on second controller, etc.)
With some moving around of hardware you can convince the drive to work.

> I have seen statements such as "All non-SCSI cards are known to be
> extremely slow compared to SCSI drives.", does this include the EIDE
> controller built into most new motherboards? & is this still true?  is
> there nothing I can do to get the performance I should expect?

Can't really say.  SCSI is a lot easier to set up and get going under
FreeBSD.  If you have the controller already then definitely SCSI.
Otherwise you have to get the driver compiled in and configured.  Not
that adding a driver is difficult. :-)

> Also is the statement "ATAPI compatible IDE CD-ROMs (should be
> considered experimental)", still true? I thought I saw something about a
> new driver or something that integrates IDE CDROM's with FreeBSD or did
> I mis-understand something?

The ATAPI code is always under development.  There are enough goofy ATAPI
CDs out there to keep them going for a while.  :)

> I am also about to purchase a Tyan Tomcat II motherboard and run FreeBSD
> on it. If anyone out there has one of these have you had any problems?

Bad cache will net you wierd sig 11's.  Otherwise it seems to be a good
motherboard.

> 3)...
> Also, is there FreeBSD support for the Universal Serial Bus (USB), or
> are there plans to support USB?  I am trying to decide if I should wait
> on the new version, the Tyan Tomcat II+ that will have USB built in.

Never heard of it.  In which case, not likely.  But if you want to write
a driver for it....