Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 12:10:15 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Zoltan Kraus <zoltan@digitaltux.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CFLAGS in make.conf

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 05:25:01PM -0400, Zoltan Kraus wrote:
> What CFLAGS should be in make.conf to optimize my system binaries for i686?
> I've heard people saying that some flags make the system unstable at times. I
> just want to make sure.

In general it is unwise to mess with CFLAGS.  In 4.3 and above, you can
set the CPUTYPE variable to compile your system with appropriate
options in you will be using and compiling this build only on machines
of the same type.  You can choose from options including p2, p3,
and pentiumpro for the various i686 class CPUs.  See
/etc/defaults/make.conf for the list of choices.  This will add
appropriate CFLAGS to all compiles and will enable processor-specific
assemably where it is both available and appropriatly configured.  In
the base system this only works for OpenSSL, but support is being
expanded in ports as well.

-- Brooks

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+--