Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:19:34 -0700
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <rileyjmc@pacbell.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   BIND help: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS

Greetings:

Thanks to SBC messing with their newsgroup server I can't access the
BIND group and hope that someone here can help.

Running  named 8.2.3-REL on fbsd 4.3-R.

After changing a zone to dynamic in named.conf, in addition to the one
already there, "no addrs found" errors started.  Going back to the old
configuration didn't stop it.  Aside from the syslog errors the server
seem to work fine and has been working for some time.  The old conf file
wasn't restored from backup--just commented out the update line as
below.  A number of searches didn't turn up anything that seemed
pertinent.

Sample errors:

Oct 15 12:27:36 aji named[100]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS
(anshar.shadow.net)
Oct 15 12:27:36 aji named[100]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS ()
Oct 15 12:27:36 aji named[100]: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS
(localhost)

Just in case I got the latest cache file from internic.net.  The "root
NS" in the error log, eg "localhost" also seems strange...

named.conf entries:

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "db.cache";
        };

Entry which was changed to dynamic (and back):

zone "domain.com" {
        type master;
        file "master/domain.com";
        #allow-update {xxx.xxx.xxx/24 ; };