Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 1996 11:42:50 -0600
From:      Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE install

> > 2. Could not seem to mount the fixit.flp.
>
> Hmmm.  Symptoms?  I've managed to use it myself, though no one would
> say that it's not somewhat unwieldy..
>
> 					Jordan

More on this and another couple of strange issues that would be nice
to solve....

As Jordan probably remembers, I originally contacted him with an oddball
problem when trying to boot from the install floppy. I got the following
error.

> Error: C:6292878 > 1023 (BIOS Limit)

After much hair tearing I figured out that I needed to have the 1.2MB
floppy drive configured into the BIOS in order to successfully boot
from the install floppy. Even when there is not a 1.2MB floppy available
as I discovered later due to problem mentioned below.

BIOS is an Award rev4.51PG
Onboard Floppy
Onboard PCI IDE controllers for primary and secondary.
Secondary controller is disabled.

Regarding mounting of the fixit.flp image:

Selecting the options to mount this disk from sysinstall failed.
It appears that it never makes a request of the 1.44MB drive
that I booted from. This is the only floppy device on the system,
however as noted above, the BIOS thinks that fd1 is a 1.2MB.

Leading me to my last question:

I attempted to install a new set of boot blocks to FORCE_COMCONSOLE
with 'disklabel -B wd0' after recompiling the boot code from
FreeBSD-stable. The result nuked my partition table and MBR on
the drive forcing me to reinstall. When I installed the first time,
I chose the option to use "ALL" and to not be compatible with
future OS installs. The net effect seemed to be that the FreeBSD
partition begins with the first cylinder instead of an offset of
1 cyl. What did I do wrong here? Guidance appreciated.

I'm CCing this to hackers and install. Since I am new to these
lists, please go easy if this is inappropriate. Feel free to
forward to other lists that should be seeing this.

-Randy