Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:04:18 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        ru@ucb.crimea.ua, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fdisk

Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <19990219122814.A65108@ucb.crimea.ua> Ruslan Ermilov writes:
> : I suppose, you're talking about compatibility mode disk, are you?
> : If yes, `fdisk -t -u' is supposed to test it, and `fdisk -u' -- to do it.
>
> That doesn't work.  That's kinda my whole point.

The -u option is certainly intended to do this.  Do the parameters
actually fail to change, or is it just that boot0 still doesn't
work?

FWIW, if the disk still won't boot, and you want to send me the
first sector of the disk (MBR), plus the first 16 sectors of the
FreeBSD slice (boot blocks), I can probably work out what's going
wrong.

> : Could you tell us about the differences?
>
> In a nutshell, they have been enhanced to do the math that we've all
> done a zillion times (hmm, that last partition started at 132354
> and was 12341235 sectors long, so the next partition starts at ...).
> Also they are nicer about editing things than the raw, bruit force
> approach that fdisk especially currently uses.

I actually made a start on a rewrite of fdisk, a month or so ago,
though I don't think this will be done very soon.  I'll look at
the OpenBSD disklabel and fdisk changes and bring them across, if
no-one else gets around to this first.

--
Robert Nordier