Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 21:11:18 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Stephen Wynne <stevemw@northwest.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crashes with Swing 1.0.1 and Lesstif 0.82/port

> I've had several problems on FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE, Lesstif 0.82/port,
> and SwingSet on Swing 1.0.1.
>
> I compiled myself with the diffs from the 25th of February.
> I do not have these problems on the static Motif version.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

'Nuff said.

> Should I consider investing in Motif
> for FreeBSD? I wonder if I didn't compile correctly or something...

Doubtful.  The reason I have made all my releases with Motif is because
the LessTif version was useless, and I *depend* on a working Java port
for $$.  It cost me less time and money to spend the money for Motif,
and to make sure the build is done with Motif.

> If I should use Motif, which version should I buy? How long can
> I expect it to work with future versions of FreeBSD? I wonder
> what our options are.

FWIW, as long as I'm building public releases, I will be using Motif,
and will be building releases that don't require you to have Motif.  If
you want Motif for your own work, feel free to buy it.

Nate