Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 00:20:38 -0800
From:      Joe Park <joepark@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   printer problem

Hello,

As one of processes of moving from Window to FreeBSD, I started to work on
printer now.  I have Panasonic KX-P6500 laser printer and on first try of
"lptest > /dev/lpt0", it printed one line of ASCII chracters on first page
and two blank page.  And I thought, "hmm, that's odd.  Let me try to set up
printcap and see what happen."  So I edited printcap like this :

##########################
lp|panasonic|local Panasonic KX-P6500:\
         :sh:\
         :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
         :if=/usr/local/libexec/lpfilter:
##########################

And "lptest > /dev/lpt0" gives me 3 blank pages.  I tried spooler but all
jobs sit at the queue.  I tried polled mode with "lptcontrol -p" but
nothing changed.

That was yesterday and today after reading handbook, I added following to
my kernel :

###########################
device lpt0 at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
###########################

That gave me error saying there is no driver for lptdriver.  After reading
LINT I changed it to :

###########################
device olpt0 at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
###########################

And that still gave error -- (no olptdriver).  So I decided to go back to
do ppbus way so I changed back to the way it was :

###########################
# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 net irq 7
controller      ppbus0                  # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt0    at ppbus?       # Printer
###########################

And now, I don't even get lpt0 from dmesg !!! "lptest > /dev/lpt0" tell me
that lpt0 is not configured.  I see lpt0 lpt1 lpt2 and lpt3 at
/dev.  Following is my dmesg

###########################
  ppc0 at 0x378 irq 7 flags 0x40 on isa
ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppb0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <Panasonic KX-P6500> PRINTER GDI
ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0

As you can see, it doesn't see lpt0 anymore.

What did I do wrong?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe