Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 12:41:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        robmel@nadt.org.uk (Robin Melville), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: autodial PPP gateway where IP is negotiated?

In article <199610180926.KAA22430@charlie.nadt.org.uk> you wrote:

: I've been struggling with this for a while, and would appreciate some advice.

: We want to set up a FreeBSD host to route packets from our network of
: FreeBSD hosts and PCs to the internet via a dial-up line:-

: +----------+   dial-up  +--------------+  Internal network
: | Internet |----~~~~----| gateway host |------+------+---...
: |          |            |   (ijppp)    |      |      |
: +----------+            +--------------+     Unix    PC  ...

: Our ISP uses negotiated IP.

: I've carefully followed the instructions in the FAQ and Man pages, but
: always get "No route to host" and "DNS lookup failure" messages from the
: other machines in the network, and the gateway doesn't dial. We have
: successfully established a manual connection with ppp on the gateway.

: We run "routed" on the unix hosts.

 Points to consider.

 On the gateway have gateway=ON set in /etc/sysconfig

 If you ISP doesn't know about your "internal" network, and hence
 isn't routing that network for you then not much on the
 inside is going to work.  You'll need to setup proxy services
 on your gateway to make this work if you infact aren't getting
 a subnet routed from your ISP and you want your internal hosts
 to "use" the internet.  See about 4,000 messages in the mailing
 list archives.

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds