Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2010 05:13:33 -0800
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Installer program for FreeBSD-9.0?

On Dec 8, 2010, at 9:07 PM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:48:11 +1000, Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayau=
stralia.com.au> wrote:
>> On 12/08/10 11:26, Polytropon wrote:
>>> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 00:09:24 +0100, "Julian H. Stacey"<jhs@berklix.com> =
 wrote:
>>>=20
>>> The lynx browser, due to its "special" key handling, does not
>>> appeal to novice users. NO text mode browser gives a "first
>>> sight effect" that will "convince" a user he's installing a
>>> modern OS. Sounds stupid, I know.
>>>=20
>>> As I said, the way the user interacts with the browser does
>>> determine how fast he gets through the installation. Learning
>>> the browser (instead of just pressing the keys shown on the
>>> screen) could make things look worse.
>>>=20
>>> On the other hand, with the ability of X to run without
>>> configuration on recent hardware, what's wrong with running
>>> X with a graphical web browser - if the user DECIDED that
>>> way? Of course, this decision is the FIRST step in the install
>>> process:
>>>=20
>>>    Install method
>>>    --------------
>>>    T ->  traditional text mode installer (sysinstall)
>>>        (this one does not have all the options)
>>>    W ->  web-based installer in text mode
>>>        (typical for professional users)
>>>    G ->  web-based installer in graphics mode
>>>        (typical for novice users)
>>>    R ->  remote installation
>>>        (just starts the server)
>>>    S ->  shell
>>>        (dialog shell access to live system)
>>>=20
>>>    Enter choice: _
>>>=20
>>> Just a simple idea.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>> I like that approach- works for me anyway...
>=20
> Let me add that it would be good to default do an action
> after a certain time (e. g. 60 seconds). This default should
> be the preparation for remote installation as this is the
> obvious choice when no interaction is done - because it
> maybe is not possible (like for headless servers). So
> you put in the installation media (CD or USB stick), wait
> a minute, and then remotely access the installer.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> Accessibility should be foremost at this level and above.
>=20
> I would also like to see it that way; sadly, "market share"
> oriented development doesn't share this thought. You can
> make money on all the healthy users, there's plenty of
> them. Users with disabilites are uninteresting, from a
> "marketing" point of view. Users in niche markets are
> uninteresting, too.
>=20
> [...]

I'm going to weigh in now. :)

If you want to install FreeBSD using X with a pretty GUI, you can do that to=
day. Use a PC-BSD install DVD. There is a radio button in the installer to m=
ake it install plain FreeBSD.=20

pc-sysinstall is in HEAD now, and it is completely functional. It's been doi=
ng PC-BSD and FreeBSD installs for a long time now.=20

The way it works is it does an install based on a config file, so really the=
 work on the front end is building a tool that will build a config file.

The real issue is that you really want a volume and disk layout "wizard" of s=
orts. The ability to take some disks, maybe make a gmirror, or a ZFS RAIDZ, o=
r even use glabel on a single disk, then layout some filesystems on that, th=
en do the install.=20

It turns out that this is really simple to do in a web app, and not quite so=
 simple to do in curses. You want things like constraining choices based on p=
revious input. For instance you can't make a RAID-Z from two devices.=20

As far as floppy based installs and all of that, the last successful install=
 via floppy that I can find documented was in the 3.x era, in the 90's. That=
 was over 10 years ago. Booting from floppy is pretty rare these days, and I=
 submit that a system that has no choice but to boot from floppy isn't going=
 to be able to run FreeBSD 9 anyways. My Pentium Pro can't boot anything new=
er than 4.11, and *that* has USB ports.=20

Anything with a chance of running FreeBSD 9 can boot from USB or PXE. If it'=
s a small modern embedded system you're using dd to put an image on it's fla=
sh card.  Other situations fall in the category of really rare edge cases, a=
nd I'm ok with making those people jump through hoops to get FreeBSD running=
 on their classic pentium if it makes life easier for people attempting to d=
o realistic things. I'm a huge proponent of not mixing and matching hardware=
 and software generations. FreeBSD 2.1.5 ran well enough on our 386's that w=
e used them as nameservers for thousands of users at my ISP. FreeBSD 9 works=
 great on my dual Nehalem. I probably would be as unhappy with FreeBSD 2.x o=
n my dual Nehalem as I would be with FreeBSD 9 on a 386....oh, right, it won=
't even install in either case, let alone run.=20

We are very aware that there are people doing CLI installs. Remote serial po=
rt, etc, etc, etc, and we are not going to go down a road that raises the ba=
rrier to entry very high for them. I think sysinstall proves you can set the=
 bar pretty high though, and people will figure out a way to make it work.=20=

(Try and install FreeBSD to a RAID-Z for example, or use glabel, or install t=
o GELI....)

At the end of the day, pc-sysinstall needs a plain text config file that you=
 can write by hand. (It's very well documented) So all this front end talk i=
s really about what's the best way to build a config file.=20

Thanks,

Josh "Feedback Welcome" Paetzel=