Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:40:28 +0200
From:      Frank Staals <frank@fstaals.homeunix.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 65, Issue 7 Question 10

freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:

>Message: 10
>Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:26:05 +0900
>From: Rob <stopspam@users.sourceforge.net>
>Subject: 160 Gb Harddisk: needs extra tweeking?
>To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>

>Hi,
>
>I never had such a monster of a big harddisk; hence my question.
>
>I've got a 160 Gb Western Digital Harddisk (WD 1600 JB).
>
>It comes with a tiny CD-rom, about 8cm in diameter, entitled
>"Data Lifeguard Tools". I don't know what to do with this CDrom.
>
>I am planning to use this harddisk as the only harddisk in
>my PC and install FreeBSD (preferably version 5-Current) on it.
>Will I encounter problems? Does it need extra tweeking?
>
>The Western Digital homepage says somewhere: "Hard drives larger than
>137 GB require a controller card to utilize full drive capacity."
>What does that mean?
>

>Another question. The Western Digital homepage lists this about the harddisk:
>   Data Transfer Rate (Buffer to Host)
>	100 MB/s (Mode 5 Ultra ATA)
>	66.6 MB/s (Mode 4 Ultra ATA)
>	33.3 MB/s (Mode 2 Ultra ATA)
>	16.6 MB/s (Mode 4 PIO)
>	16.6 MB/s (Mode 2 multi-word DMA)
>
>Do I have to tell this to the kernel somehow, or is this a BIOS thing?
>Are there good reasons not to choose the fastest option "Mode 5" here?
>

>Thanks for help and advice.
>
>Rob.

What kind of computer are you planning to insert the harddisk? Here I
have a 80 Gb Hard-disk in a Pentium 2. I had to update the BIOS settings
so the computer would reconigze the Hard-drive. If you have a relative
old computer I think you have to update the BIOS.

good luck

--
Frank Staals

The Greatest pleasure in life is doing things people say you cannot do  - Walter Bagehot

With questions or comment mail to Frank@FStaals.nl.eu.org