Date:      Mon, 05 Nov 2001 20:05:44 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   VMWare Workstation

Dear folks,

Early last week I finally put FreeBSD 4.4-Release on my system (Yay!). It's
the first time I've used it as a workstation, but I've used it on servers
since 3.2-Release. I then installed the VMWare 2.0.4 port. I had absolutely
no problems with the port itself, as it seemed to install just fine.

Unfortunately, there's a big problem - when I went to VMWare's web site to
obtain a license file to let me actually run the software, I discovered
that version 2 is no longer for sale. License files can no longer be
purchased, nor can they be downloaded for evaluation purposes. Version 3
apparently uses a serial number in lieu of a license file, so there doesn't
seem to be any chance of getting version 2 running by buying version 3.

I sent e-mail to the VMWare sales team explaining the situation, and then
asked if I might be able to buy a 2.0 license in spite of the pending
release of 3.0. They sent me a very nice letter back basically confirming
that I'm screwed. :-)

Version 3.0 was just released today, but the beta has been around for some
time. Has anyone had any luck getting this working on FreeBSD? (Judging
from the archives, I'm assuming the answer is no.)

My interest in VMWare was not exclusively because it would allow me to run
Windows programs, but because having virtual machines of various OSes and
configurations running simultaneously, or at least having them accessable
without rebooting, would be very convenient.

I've been waffling for more than 2 months between using FreeBSD or some
distribution of Linux for my workstation. I finally settled on FreeBSD
because honestly, I like it a lot more. So here I am, having found that
because of my drawn-out indecisiveness, I can't use VMWare, which is the
one package I really needed!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM