Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 06:46:11 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Ben Speirs <igiveup@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        multimedia <multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't open MIDI device

Ben

> Can't open MIDI device '/dev/sequencer', errno 6 (Device not configured)

> Is this typical for all sound cards?
> I remember reading about development of the
> "newmidi" several months back.  Is it still going or did it die?

There is no 'midi' or 'sequencer' support in FreeBSD 4.x
yet for any sound card in the newpcm driver so you
will get this with all sound cards.

As for newmidi, the code is already in -current undergoing
testing.
I've not tried it myself so I've no idea how good it is
but I'm sure it will be merged in to the 4.x-stable branch
at some point in the future.

Roger