Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 22:06:49 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Firewall vs. Black Ice

Nobody believes this, as you know.  Therefore, their public reason
is a lie.  They aren't totally stupid, they know this is a lie,
yet still they say it.  This is just more evidence that they
are playing some other game here.

>The first question is then - does anti-virus software actually do a
>better job than disabling scripting in MS Office applications? The

Yes, it does.  Also, there are other viruses that aren't scripts that
can be transmitted by e-mail and the software catches these too.

>second one is that, if this technic is so effective, when do the email
>viruses effect millions or 10s of millions of people whenever they
>show up?

Because most people are completely bullheaded and still don't run
AntiVirus even though they have been yackked at by their betters
to do it from time immemorial.  The typical computer user with
$50 burning a hole in their pocket will go to the store and buy
the latest game before they buy AV software.

But, if there was no punishment at all, then instead of most computer
users not running AV, then virtually ALL wouldn't.  There's enough that get
the hint right now and don't know any better to keep the antivirus companies
in business.  If you took away the script hole, the AV companies would go
broke.

>The way things are being done now makes it an arms race, which is

Exactly, you have grasped the concept perfectly!  It worked for years and
years with the American defense contractors, that was what the Cold War was
all about.  Now that we have access to historical data we can go into the
history of the USSR and see that during the 60's when the US defence
contractors were taking the US Government to the cleaners, the Soviet
defense contractors were doing exactly the same thing to the Politburo!

That's all the entire AntiVirus industry is, you know.

>*not* the place you want to be when you're the only one taking
>damage. Shutting off the scripting tools by default would pretty much
>kill the self-spreading email viruses, thus taking away the most
>potent weapon the virus writers have.

But it would also ruin an entire industry that's based on fear, and
there's millions of dollars of sales at stake here.

> Not shutting them off
>offensively stupid.

No, it's the patriotic thing to do!  Up with Capitalism!!!  Up with
profits made on the sale of software desinged to correct an
artifically-created and artifically-maintained flaw!  Shut UP boy, there's
money to be made there!!! :-)

Seriously, from my point of view, the AntiVirus industry is like 90%
slime, but there's still 10% of it that's good.  Shutting down the script
hole would not destroy every single virus out there, nor would it kill the
transmission medium.  I deplore the way that the industry has set itself up
to basically live off of fear, but at the same time, I wouldn't want that
10% of it that's good to be lost, and I can't figure out how to slice off
that 90% of slime from the antivirus industry yet preserve the 10%.