Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:47:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@dcf77-zeit.netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        Takanori Watanabe <takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        "Vladimir B. " Grebenschikov <vova@express.ru>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unionfs and getcwd problem.

[replies sent directly to me may timeout and bounce, since I'm not
 online as often as I should be, but I'll check the list archives]

Moin, moin!
%s wrote on %.3s, %lld Sep 1993

> On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 17:35, Takanori Watanabe wrote:
> > Hi, I had trouble with unionfs when it calles getcwd(3) when
> > I mount some directory on the directry in same file system,like
> > mount -t union /usr/home/foo/bar /usr/src/sys/ .
[...]
> > so it failed to recognize mount point. So I tried the patch as
> > follows taken from nullfs. Are there any problem with this patch?

Thanks!  I'm pleased to report that I applied your patch to my
-stable source, and now I'm able to `make buildworld' with my
rw unionfs mount of my local hacks, atop a ro nullfs mount with
unaltered source, which I'm doing right now.

The only obvious `problem' is when a non-r00t user attempts to
access the union-mounted fs when the shadow directories have not
yet been created, and `permission denied' is returned for all
directories that exist below, but not in the unionfs fs.  E.g.:
| bash-2.05a$ ls -l /usr/src/sys/boot/
| ls: alpha: Permission denied
| ls: arc: Permission denied
| ls: forth: Permission denied
| ls: pc98: Permission denied
| total 20
| -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    516 Nov 15  1999 Makefile
| -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  11542 Jul  7  2000 README
| drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel    512 Mar  9 17:15 common
[...]

> patch below will turn on caching on unionfs, and solve getcwd problem,
> patch against -CURRENT

> +       if ((error == 0 || error == ENOENT) && saveflags & MAKEENTRY &&
> cnp->cn_nameiop != CREATE) {

This apparently doesn't want to work for -stable, with `saveflags'
causing a problem.  Once I finish my -stable build, I'll see how
this changes the behaviour in -current.  Thanks!

-*-
Hmmm, it has the same `saveflags' problem with my -current (from a few
days ago).  Also, the first patch above, which worked well for me in
-stable, also seems to work for the getcwd() problem (csh, make) in
-current, but two minor problems remain --
* non-r00t users get errors as in -stable for missing directories
  ls: share: Permission denied
  ls: tools: Permission denied
  ls: usr.bin: Permission denied
* existing directories show up twice in -current (not a problem
with -stable) with `ls -li' here:
   41032 drwxr-xr-x   53 root  wheel    512 Mar 10 22:22 sys
   41032 drwxr-xr-x   53 root  wheel    512 Mar 10 22:22 sys
   41029 drwxr-xr-x  164 root  wheel    512 Dec 27 03:10 usr.sbin
   41029 drwxr-xr-x  164 root  wheel    512 Dec 27 03:10 usr.sbin
(heh, I haven't checked to see how identical files in both layers
are handled)
Also, this is a unionfs mount atop a nullfs mount within the same
filesystem, /usr, /usr/local/system/src nullfs atop /usr/src, with
/usr/local/source-hacks unionfs atop the nullfs /usr/src, if it matters.

thanks,
barry bouwsma