Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 10:48:25 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Johan Larsson <johan@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, <hubs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Jesper Skriver wrote:

> On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 03:00:06PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
>
> > > I simply think it's inconvenient for mirror operators to host bits that
> > > are not obtained even one-tenth of 1% of the time as the newest
> > > releases/packages.  Not everyone has 50GB of disk space to dedicate
> > > to FreeBSD, and I don't see a reason to expect that.  :)
> >
> > If it is truly just a disk space issue, we should investigate if we can
> > get subsidized disks for well-connected mirrors.
> > Heck, 50GB is a typical personal MP3 collection.
>
> A single cheap XX GB IDE drive won't work in a busy ftp mirror, I know
> ftp.dk.FreeBSD.org which have a relative expensive HW RAID0+1 SCSI disk
> array of 18 GB 10k rpm SCSI drives was quite busy in the days after
> 4.3-RELEASE ...

IDE, what's that? :-) I also think that alot of mirrors are (computer)
societys with limited moneyresources. We at Ludd have a lot of bandwidth,
but diskspace is always a problem.

> But still, ~50 GB shouldn't be a problem, but I think we should decide
> on "upper limit" on disk space, so that people can plan on having that
> amount of disk space, and don't have to worry about running out of disk
> space when the next release (or snapshot or distfile update, or ...)
> comes on ftp-master ...

I couldn't agree more. For us the biggest problem has been to make sure
the disk doesn't get full. We now have 64GB for FreeBSD, so hopefully it will be
sufficient for some time :)

But if an upper limit for a _complete_ official mirror is decided i think
we have gained alot. This way people always know what they need to get
started and actually be around for a while. 50GB might be a good idea. And
then we can have an /FreeBSD-Archive for old releases, packages etc for
mirrors that have the disk capacity to mirror that too.

        Johan