Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 20:22:31 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD/alpha status report (2)

I reached a significant milestone today.  I exec'ed '/sbin/init' (binary
from NetBSD) and it successfully managed a few syscalls and even a page
fault or two before it choked deep inside __sysctl.  It won't be long
before I get a single-user shell working.

Along the way, I have successfully probed for simulated devices on a
simulated PCI bus and attached simulated SCSI disks :-).  I am *not*
currently using NetBSD's bus_space stuff to handle accesses to device i/o
ports and memory.  Given that 99% of the machines that the port will work
on don't need the complexity of bus_space, I have taken the Linux route
and each chipset will supply versions of inb etc which perform the
relavent contortions.

Next week, I will probably commit some of this code.  I have made a lot of
64bit fixes to generic kernel code which I need to test on i386.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039