Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:22:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Marquardt <marquard@Zilker.NET>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        jadeite@light.pomona.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iptrace and ipreport

"Greg" == Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de> writes:

Greg> jadeite writes:
>> Does anyone know what is the FreeBSD equivalent of AIX's iptrace and
>> ipreport?

Greg> (Sorry for the delay).  I haven't seen any other replies, probably
Greg> because nobody knows what iptrace and ipreport are.  From the name, it
Greg> sounds as if tcpdump might be similar to iptrace: it traces a specific
Greg> interface and shows the traffic.  There are a number of options--read
Greg> the man page for more info, or see volume I of TCP/IP Illustrated
Greg> (Stevens) for some practical uses.

Greg> ipreport says nothing to me.  Could it be like netstat?

You were right with your first guess.  iptrace and ipreport together
are like tcpdump.  iptrace dumps packets to a trace log, and ipreport
interprets them into human readable format.

-Dave