Date:      Tue, 11 May 2004 18:39:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the most light weight X web browser?

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Robert Storey wrote:

> I followed your advice about compiling Links so that it could run in graphics
> mode without X.
>
> This is REALLY COOL - one of the best tips I've received in a long time, and I
> thank you for it. However, I've run into one little glitch. As root, it works
> fine, but as a regular user, when I type:
>
>   links -g -mode 640x480x16
>
> I get this error message:
>
>    svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.
>
> No doubt it's a permissions error, but I'm not sure which/where permissions I
> should change. Any ideas?

The man page for svgalib says that programs which use it must be setuid
root.  Sure enough:

chmod u+s /usr/local/bink/links

and it runs for other members of wheel besides root.  (Note the security
implications, though.)

I modified the links Makefile so links can be built with X support,
svgalib support, or neither.  A copy has been sent to the port
maintainer.  With any luck, it'll be committed, so the build will be
easier.

(Apologies for an earlier spam bounce--hinet.net has been blocked here
for years.  I've removed them from my block list for now.)