Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2013 15:25:53 +0400
From:      Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Use of sysutils/pacman in FreeBSD?

* Thomas Mueller (mueller6724@bellsouth.net) wrote:

> I recognize pacman as a package manager for Arch Linux along with
> Arch Build System, but how would pacman be used in FreeBSD?
>
> Binary-only package manager or build from source for FreeBSD, or

Well, there's ArchBSD project (http://archbsd.net/), and pacman may
be used to install packages from it (to quickly set up a jail, for
example, as FreeBSD world is just another package there).

However, the original reason I've ported it was to be able to install
a genuine linux distribution into a chroot, as linux_base* from ports
are outdated to complete uselessness. Unfortunately, that didn't work
because our linuxulator is outdated as well: recent linux binaries
either demand higher kernel version or (if compat.linux.osrelease is
bumped) segfault. If that issue is resolved (I've heard there's
some work on linuxulator ongoing), pacman will be ready for installing
ArchLinux into jail/chroot.

> would it be used to add packages to an Arch Linux installation while
> running from FreeBSD?

That too, but it's currently impossible, as it needs to run linux
binaries in the chroot, while they doesn't really run.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3@amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3@jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru