Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 14:45:12 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Jonathan Slivko <js43064n@pace.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD spokesman (was: So what happens to FreeBSD now?)

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 04:45:57PM -0400, James Howard wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Josef Grosch wrote:
>
> > I VERY strongly disagree! Just because Greg fails some random ideological
> > test of yours is no reason to discount him. Greg Lehey has great things for
>
> As boringly anti-GPL Mr. Glass is, this is not a "random" ideological
> test.  It is very important to the future of FreeBSD that its most visible
> participants be someone "opposed" to the "competition".

And you are admitted to the bar to practice law in which state? No, I am
not being flippant. Has anyone ever seen a serious legal opinion on the
various licenses? Never mind what spin Brett Glass, microsoft, Stallman,
Eric Raymond, et al has to say. They all have an ax to grid. I have never
heard of any of these license, with the exception of the BSD license in the
USL lawsuit, being tested. This includes the full appeals process. And if a
large corporation like microsoft or Exxon chose to grab some GPL code, make
a product out of it and sell it, who is going to stop them. Name the
person(s) who have the resources to take them into court and put up a
serious legal fight? Don't expect the US government to take our
side. microsoft is weeks away from a clean get away even though they were
caught red-handed in volation of Sherman anti-trust law which has a long
and well tested legal history.

Bretts positions are very interesting but as a practical matter they are
useless and only divide us. We should be forming alliance with the Linux
camps not allowing debates like the round and the sharp end of egg to cause
us to fight which, in the end, only helps microsoft.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 4.3
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | www.bafug.org