Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:39:33 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        nickhead@folino.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KERNCONF instead of KERNEL?

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 11:34:19PM +0900, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> nickhead@folino.com wrote:
> >=20
> > What is the prefered way to update a remote machine now?  For years, I'=
ve run a
> > make buildworld, installworld, cd /sys/i386/conf config, build and inst=
all a
> > kernel, then reboot.  All through telnet or ssh.  I've never had proble=
ms in
> > the past, and all goes well.  Is there a better way to do this on a mac=
hine
> > that you can't get to the console?
>=20
> Here is the order suggested and the why:
>=20
> 1) make buildworld -- because the new kernel may depend on new tools
> (config(8) is a common example, but no the only one).
> 2) make buildkernel -- some programs may depend on new syscalls, so
> build the kernel before installing the world.
> 3) make installkernel -- install a new kernel (the copy of the old one
> is preserved)
> 4) reboot single user -- make sure the new kernel works

If're you're doing a remove upgrade without a console you can do a
reboot to multi-user here, but beware.  This may not work.  I recently
took a 3-STABLE system to 4.1-RELEASE without problems (other then
breaking mysql), but when I took it to 4-STABLE it broke on the reboot.
It turned out that the problem was that my mfs /tmp wouldn't mount and
thus it fell back to single user mode.  I was traveling at the time so I
ended up doing the installworld and mergemaster steps by talking my wife
through it over the phone.  That was intresting.

> 5) mount filesystems, make installworld -- install the rest of the world
> 6) mergemaster -- update /etc -- the new userland tools may require new
> /etc scripts and configuration files.

-- Brooks

--=20

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl