Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 1996 18:53:20 +1100 (EST)
From:      Joel Sutton <suttonj@interconnect.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Driver for Colorado Jumbo 350 Floppy Tape Drive

Greetings,

I have recently purchased and set up a Jumbo 350 tape drive on my FreeBSD
2.1.5 machine without too much hastle but I am having trouble in that the
ft driver does not seem to recognize the geometry of my 170Mb tape. I get
part way through my backup and then the tape drive tries to wind the tape
on further than it can actually go, giving off a whole bunch of write
errors.

I have be searching through the mail archives and I have found references
to a new driver called "lft" which is (was?) being tested. Is it still
available? Where could I find a copy? Or perhaps it is going to be
included in 2.1.6???

If anyone has come up with some quick fixs to the source code for ft so
that it will recognize the tape I would love to hear from you also.

My system config follows.

Thanks, Joel...

System Specifications : Solsbury-hill - FreeBSD 2.1.5 release

     * Intel Pentium 133
     * 32Mb EDO RAM
     * EIDE controller - on the motherboard
          + NEC EIDE CD-ROM 280/3.08
          + Seagate 2.1GB EIDE Hard Drive
          + Seagate 1.2GB EIDE Hard Drive (used for Windows 95)
     * Floppy Controller - NEC 765
          + 3.5" Floppy Drive
          + Colorado Jumbo 350 Tape Drive
     * Trident TGUI 9680-PCI Graphics Card
     * ESS 1688 - 16PnP Sound Card (Emulating a SB-Pro only)
     * Dick Smith 16550A Dual UART Serial Card
     * Internal Banksia Myin Modem
     * SVEC Ethernet card - NE2000 compatable
     * External bits and pieces
          + Cannon Bubble Jet - BJC 210 (using Ghostscript)
          + KTX Topscan 15" monitor

Kernal Configuration:

#
# EVERYDAY kernel
# for Solsbury-Hill - Pentium 133
# Last Modified: 29th December, 1996
#

# Needed for CPU
#
machine		"i386"
cpu		"I586_CPU"
ident		EVERYDAY
maxusers	15

# General OS stuff
#
options		INET		      # InterNETworking
options		FFS		      # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		NFS		      # Network Filesystem
options		MSDOSFS		      # MSDOS Filesystem
options		"CD9660"	      # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options		PROCFS		      # Process filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"	      # Compatible with BSD 4.3
options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS	      # include support for DMA bounce buffers
options		UCONSOLE	      # Allow users to grab the console

options		SYSVSHM		      #
options		SYSVSEM		      #
options		SYSVMSG		      #

# Which device do we boot from?
#
config		kernel	root on wd0

# Busses on the motherboard
#
controller	isa0
controller	pci0

# Floppy Drive and Coloardo Jumbo 350
#
controller   fdc0 at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio flags 1 irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk	     fd0  at fdc0 drive 0
disk         fd1  at fdc0 drive 1
tape	     ft0  at fdc0 drive 2

# Segate 2.1Gb disk - FreeBSD Volume
#
controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk		wd0	at wdc0 drive 0
disk		wd1	at wdc0 drive 1

# Segate 1.2Gb disk - Windows 95/DOS Volume
# Not to be mounted under any circumstances
#
controller	wdc1	at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk		wd2	at wdc1 drive 0
disk		wd3	at wdc1 drive 1

# NEC IDE CD-ROM Drive
# Sits on controller two so both OS's can access
#
options         ATAPI   #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
device          wcd0    #IDE CD-ROM

# System console
# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
#
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
options		XSERVER
options         "MAXCONS=4"

# Floating point math co-processor - DONT REMOVE
# Support for x87 emualtion via new math emulator
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr
options	GPL_MATH_EMULATE

# Serial port devices
# sio0 = mouse
# sio1 = internal modem
# sio2 = comm port (terminal or ppp)
# sio3 = comm port (terminal or ppp)
#
device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device		sio2	at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
device		sio3	at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr

# Printer Port - interupt
# You must specify the port otherwise it effects the ESS sound card.
#
device		lpt0	at isa? port 0x378 tty irq 7 vector lptintr

# Ethernet Devices - SVEC Ethernet card (NE2000)
#
device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  11 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

# Pseudo Network devices
#
pseudo-device	sl		1	# Kernal SLIP
pseudo-device	ppp		3	# Kernal PPP
pseudo-device	tun		1	# Tunnel for user PPP
pseudo-device	bpfilter	1	# Berkeley packet filter

# General Pseudo devices
#
pseudo-device	loop			# Loopback
pseudo-device	ether			# Ethernet
pseudo-device	log			# Syslog
pseudo-device	pty		32	# virtual terminals
pseudo-device	gzip			# Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device	snp 		2	# Snoop devices

# Sound devices
# ESS 1668 PnP 16
#
controller	snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
options "SBC_IRQ=7"
device opl0	at isa? port 0x388 conflicts
device joy0	at isa? port "IO_GAME"

# Power management device
#
device		apm0	at isa?