Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 16:40:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/2647: changing existing route to -static crashes kernel

The following reply was made to PR kern/2647; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To: csw@gated.epigram.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats@freebsd.org, fenner@parc.xerox.com
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 16:21:59 PST

 >	Using the "change" command to add the "-static" flag to
 >  	an existing route on the local ethernet will always crash the machine.

 The "change" interface is not very well fleshed out.  I think it pretty much
 only works for changing gateways, metrics or locks; so even if it didn't panic
 it wouldn't accomplish what you want.

 To accomplish what you appear to want to do, you could try

 arp -s 199.2.31.1 0:0:c:76:30:3d perm

 (although I don't know why you'd want to do that, if it's dynamically
 discoverable once, it's presumably dynamically discoverable again when it's
 needed...)

   Bill